When I was planning and launching my blog, I didn’t know where to turn to for practical advice and guidance so I’ve put together a list of books that helped inspire and motivate me on my creative journey.
Whether you’re looking to start or grow a blog or creative business, these books will help you improve your writing and photography, identify and develop your ideas, and create your brand.
1. The Busy Girls Guide to Digital Photography by Lorna Yabsey – If you’re looking for a book that explains in clear and easy to understand ways, the fundamental principles of photography this is a great read.
2. Big Magic – Creative Living Beyond Fear by Elizabeth Gilbert – If you’re struggling to harness your creativity or letting fear get in the way, this book makes some very good points.
3. A Beautiful Mess Photo Idea Book by Elsie Larson and Emma Chapman – This book is from the creative sisters behind abeautifulmess.com Full of photography tips and projects, it will definitely give you the inspiration to create beautiful images for your blog or small business.
4. My Bucket List (Insert Your Story) by Axel and Ash – This gorgeous hardcover journal is filled with beautiful images, stories, quotes and tips, inspiring you to collect and fulfil all those dreams, desires and ideas of what you want to do with your one extraordinary life.
5. The Passion Test by Janet Bray Attwood and Chris Attwood – This is a great read for anyone feeling they need to take stock and refocus. Through several exercises it helps you to create a purposeful life by identifying your top 5 passions and aligning your life with them.
6. The Artist’s Way by Julia Cameron – The Artist’s Way is a twelve week course which guides you through the process of recovering and unblocking your creativity.
7. How To Style Your Brand: Everything You Need to Know to Create a Distinctive Brand Identity by Fiona Humberstone – This book helps you to identify what you want your brand image to do for your business, plan your brand and turn those plans into a recognisable brand.
8. Picture Perfect Social Media: A Handbook For Styling Perfect Photos for Posting, Blogging, and Sharing by Jennifer Young – If you are wanting to learn how to take better photos for your blog and social media, this book offers some very helpful advice. There is also a section on how to DIY some accessories like light reflectors and diffusers.
9. Blogging For Creatives by Robin Houghton – If you are looking to start a blog or you’re new to blogging, this is a great guide which covers the absolute basics of blogging, and `what is a blog’, to how blogs work, blogging platforms, setting one up, creating content and promoting the blog. There are really useful case studies from other creative bloggers within each chapter.
10. 365 Blog Topic Ideas: For The Lifestyle Blogger Who Has Nothing to Write About by Dana Fox – It can be tough to come up with fresh ideas sometimes, so this a a great book to inspire you and get you out of a blogging rut. While aimed at lifestyle bloggers, the ideas can be related to any type of blog.
11. Your Best Year 2016: Productivity Workbook and Creative Business Planner by Lisa Jacobs – This workbook is designed to help creative entrepreneurs set goals and prioritise in order to have a successful and organised business. It includes an annual overview with objectives, prompts and exercises, quarterly goal-setting, monthly overviews, monthly tasks and priorities, weekly overviews, weekly tasks and habit trackers.
12. The Desire Map: A Guide to Creating Goals with Soul by Danielle Laporte – This book is book is full of inspirational ideas, helping you to connect your intentions with your goals and approach them from a different perspective.
13. Shape Up Your Business: The founders of notonthehighstreet.com share their story in a 30-day success plan by Sophie Cornish and Holly Tucker – Written by the two female entrepreneurs behind the hugely successful notonthehighstreet.com this is a great read if you are looking to improve your business, or thinking of starting one.
14. Girl Code: Unlocking the Secrets to Success, Sanity, and Happiness for the Female Entrepreneur by Cara Alwill Leyba – Full of lessons and interviews with female entrepreneurs this is an inspiring and motivating read for women in business or in general.
15. #Girlboss by Sophia Amoruso – This candid and straight-talking guide to starting a business from scratch is a great read for ambitious women. Part memoir and part management guide, it is warm, funny and full of great advice.
16. The Idea in You: How to Find It, Build It, and Change Your Life by Martin Amor – Full of great practical advice for the budding entrepreneur this book will help you form your idea and make it a reality.
I’d love to hear any of your must read books for bloggers and creative entrepreneurs in the comments!